1-blank2 home house on sunflower lane2 about house on sunflower lane3-contact-house-on-sunflower-lane4 tutorials house on sunflower lane5 advertise house on sunflower lane6 blog roll house on sunflower lane7-blank

Friday, January 10, 2014

Where I Have Been!

I can tell you, I definitely haven't been home.

When we purchased our house back in April of 2013, we had no idea that our house came with it's own tenants. Those tenants were in the form of little blood sucking bugs called bed bugs.

Who knew these things really existed, I thought it was just part of a saying, "sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite." Boy, was I ever wrong.

A couple of months after we moved in, both my stepdaughter and my mother in law got these little red, itchy bites on their arms. We thought it was from chiggers in the yard so we kept spraying and spraying the yard with no decrease in bites, they only seemed to be getting worse. One day, my stepdaughter didn't go outside and she still got bit up terribly. After that, I started researching and the first thing that popped up was a link for bed bugs. After a quick search of her room, I found at least 20-30 bed bugs all in the crevices of her mattress.

I couldn't believe it. I decided that I would try and treat the problem myself, and for awhile, I was slowly killing them off and thought I was keeping them contained in the two rooms where they were.

I was wrong.

These little bloodsuckers are evil. They don't die and the procreate like rabbits.

I found traces of bed bugs in Hayley's bed and had a mental breakdown. Between Mat being deployed (and that's a mess all on it's own, he was supposed to have been home by now) and dealing with these stupid bugs for months, I called my dad and an exterminator.

My dad met me and took the kids while I set something up with an exterminator. When the exterminator came, I had literally move everything out of the house and wash it and dry on high heat. My house is a wreck and it became overwhelming.

For the past 4 months, we've been bouncing around between my parents house and my inlaws house, spending a couple of weeks here and a couple of weeks there, and I go back to our house long enough to let the exterminator in.

We are getting ready to move back into the house next weekend, my inlaws are coming down to help me get it all put back together, the exterminator will still be coming to visit until I am 100% confident that these assholes are gone. Completely gone.

I will slowly work on updating you with everything that has been going on, but it's been so much that I will probably just touch on the important stuff (like the most inconvenient time for my washer AND dryer to break down and the replacement of both.

It's been crazy but I am so happy that things are finally going to be going back to normal!

4 comments:

  1. Oh no!!! I hate this for you!! and thru a deployment.. oh goodness. Look forward to reading more! Following from the Military Spouse Blogger on Facebook link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, they are very real :/ I worked in University Housing when they first started and what a mess it was :( I hope they are truly gone for you and you don't have to deal with it again. Always look in the beds at hotels, just pull down the covers and look closely and always wash new (and old clothes) before you wear them or introduce them to your wardrobe. Fingers crossed! ~ I found your through the MSB link up FB post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! It seems they are gone, for the most part. We found one but haven't had any issues since :)

      Delete